Tuna mornay is a retro classic. We remember growing up having this with our families. This keto tuna mornay will have you reminiscing the good old days. This tuna casserole recipe would be a great for keto families, as it is an excellent kid friendly option.
KETO TUNA MORNAY
Both Erika and I were brought up on our own family versions of tuna mornay. Our family had this dish called crusty tuna rice. It was similar to tuna mornay but it has a breadcrumb topping and cooked rice mixed through the tuna and cheese sauce mixture. it was definitely a theme in my family, double carb everything! I was really happy when Erika made this version of keto tuna mornay as it reminded me of my childhood and it is also super delicious.
TUNA MORNAY VERSUS TUNA CASSEROLE
We have learnt so much since starting our keto way of life and one of the things we have had to get used to is the Australian versus American names for things. To Australians a casserole is a slow cooked stew consisting of some sort of protein like beef and a gravy type sauce. It took as a while to realise casserole in North America is a oven baked dish that has more of a creamy, cheesy or egg base.
If you are from North America and a little confused by tuna mornay, it is essentially a tuna casserole. All that is different is the name.
TIPS FOR MAKING KETO TUNA MORNAY
If you prefer you could swap the broccoli to cauliflower or another vegetable you have on hand. We like it with a combination of broccoli and cauliflower.
Try to purchase tuna in spring water or plain olive oil to avoid any inflammatory vegetable oils. Tinned salmon would work well in this too if you have that available instead.
Keto tuna mornay is a great keto family dinner option for busy parents. This Tuna casserole will keep the whole family happy.
- 1 batch Keto Cheese Sauce
- 400 g Broccoli florets (14 oz)
- 425 g Tin of Tuna, drained (15 oz)
- 100 g Cheddar Cheese, grated (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Steam broccoli florets until just tender, don’t overcook as they will cook a little more in the oven.
- Arrange broccoli in an oven proof dish, sprinkle over tuna evenly. Pour over the prepared cheese sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 15 – 20 mins until golden on top and bubbling. Allow to cool for 5 mins before serving.
Calories: 632kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 204mg | Sodium: 742mg | Potassium: 609mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 18.7% | Vitamin C: 108.1% | Calcium: 24.5% | Iron: 14.6