Healthy keto fried chicken that’s crispy and crunchy, made with boneless thigh meat “breaded” in almond flour and parmesan cheese. Low carb and gluten free.
Craving fried chickien? Here’s an easy and simple recipe for making it at home! Same great crunch and flavor, minus most of the carbs. Each serving (3 fried chicken pieces) has only 2.5g net carbs!
Boneless and skinless chicken thighs are cut into small pieces and “breaded” in a mixture of almond flour, finely grated parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Then they’re dipped in an egg wash and breaded again.
After that, they go straight into the hot oil, deep frying for about 5 minutes until deep brown and cooked through. The end result is fried chicken that’s crunchy and flavorful on the outside, with juicy and tender meat on the inside. Yum!
If you’re not a fan of deep frying, you might be interested in making this chicken parmesan recipe, which uses breast meat shallowly fried on a pan, not deep fried.
Why Thighs Are Best For Fried Chicken
Thighs are quickly becoming my preferred chicken cut. They’re juicy, flavorful, hard to overcook, and easily available as boneless and skinless.
But why are they the best for fried chicken? Thighs, once deboned, are uneven. They have all sorts of nooks and crannies, providing lots of surface area for delicious breading to easily adhere to. You get a lot more crunch in every bite compared to breaded chicken breast tenders.
A lot of people avoid thighs because they think they’ll have to deal with bones and skin. That’s not the case at all, given the wide availability of boneless and skinless thighs at grocery stores. Most recently, I’ve been using them to make Instant Pot Chicken Thighs With Balsamic Sauce.
Best Keto Fried Chicken
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 380 kcal
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 18 ounces total)
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 2/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Add 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil to a pot over medium-high heat. Heat the oil to 350 F, and frequently monitor to maintain the temperature by adjusting the flame during frying.
- In a bowl, add eggs and heavy cream, beating until well-mixed. In another bowl, stir together all breading ingredients until well-mixed. Set aside.
- Cut each chicken thigh into 3 evenly sized pieces. If moist, pat them dry with paper towels.
- Coat each piece first in the breading, then in the egg wash, and then in the breading again, coating all sides. Shake off excess and carefully lower into the hot oil. Fry until deep brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes, and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the other chicken pieces. You may want to work in batches to avoid overcrowding in the pot — I usually have 6 chicken pieces frying simultaneously in a 8-inch wide pot.
- Serve immediately while hot and crispy.
This recipe yields 2.5 g net carbs per serving (3 fried chicken pieces or 1/4 of recipe). Nutrition info does not include vegetable oil used for frying.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 26g 40%
Saturated Fat: 6g 29%
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 218mg 73%
Sodium: 920mg 38%
Potassium: 140mg 4%
Total Carb: 5g 2%
Dietary Fiber: 2.5g 9%