This blueberry cheesecake fool is neither cheesecake nor fool, but a glorious combination of both. I came up with the idea when I was left with half a pack of cream cheese and a few blueberries. They needed eating up and I fancied something sweet. A few minutes later I was devouring an early version of this gorgeous concoction. I have since tweaked the recipe, the main difference being that I now make a compote out of the berries as this really livens up their flavour and adds a gorgeous deep purple swirl to the dessert.
I haven’t included any cheesecake crumbs in my fool as I prefer the texture without them but if you need those crumbs then you could crumble up a thin, crisp, buttery biscuit and fold it in with the compote.
The compote needs time to cool before you fold it into the cream so it is best to make it in advance but if you’re not that organised then you will find that it cools pretty quickly if you pour it onto a plate. Incidentally, the puree is also fantastic drizzled over ice cream, waffles and pancakes.
For the compote
- 250 g (2 cups) blueberries
- 50 g (¼ cups) white sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the cream
- 250 g (8oz) cream cheese
- 250 ml (1 cup) double cream
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 25 g (¼ cups) icing sugar (powdered)
For the compote
- Put the blueberries, sugar and water in the pan. Heat gently until the berries begin to release their juices then turn the heat up slightly. Cook until the berries have popped and you have a lovely deep purple compote then continue to simmer until the compote turns syrupy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and leave to cool.
- In a large bowl, using an electric whisk, beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together until smooth and lump free. In another bowl whisk the double cream and caster sugar until it just stands in soft peaks. Add the cream to the cream cheese and, using a metal spoon, fold the two together. Drizzle ⅓ of the cooled compote over the cream mixture then fold the mixture over just twice taking care not to overmix.
Calories: 546kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 225mg | Potassium: 181mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 35.8% | Vitamin C: 9.6% | Calcium: 10.6% | Iron: 2.3%