Alfredo Sauce Recipe: Low Carb Authentic Italian Goodness – An easy, ultra-creamy Alfredo sauce that has just 8 carbs for the whole batch (1.4 carbs per serving). Simple and gluten free, this sauce is great on cauliflower, broccoli, chicken, shrimp… SO many things! store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 273 kca
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Slowly melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan. Don’t let it boil.
- Whisk the cream into the melted butter.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Don’t let it boil!
- Remove from heat and add the nutmeg and salt.
- Stir in the Parmesan until it’s melted and the sauce is smooth and creamy
There are no substitutions. You have to use heavy cream, you have to use real butter, and you have to use the shredded kind of fresh Parmesan. The key to a really awesome Alfredo is fresh ingredients that’s why I use whole nutmeg. It’s easy to grate and the flavor is SO much better. You just need a pinch, literally just a pinch, in this or else it’s overkill. All of the flavors in this sauce are delicate and balanced — it’s quite a change if you’ve only been used to commercial sauces.
The butter needs to be melted very slowly and never allowed to boil up. If it separates the sauce will be greasy and separated. In fact, all the way through this you want the ingredients to heat gently. Once the butter is completely melted you pour in the cream slowly, whisking the whole time. After a minute or two it will thicken slightly but it doesn’t really thicken up until you add the cheese.